Sunday, May 15, 2011

MAC Blog Post 1 week 3: Art of Possibility chapters 5-8

In reading the four chapters, one main concept I am taking away is that fact that it is always more important to ask what makes a group lively and engaged instead of asking how good am I.  The students will definitely learn more if they are engaged and the focus is on them, not on the instructor.  My students seem to react when I admit to not knowing something that they ask or admit that I made a mistake.  Students also react very positively if one of their ideas is accepted and used.

Rule number 6:  Don’t take your self so seriously!  I have found in my classroom that my students respond in a positive manner when I am in a better, lighter mood than when I am too serious.  The same amount of learning still gets accomplished, but laughter makes them relax and more willing to take a risk.  I agree that if students can give up their pride, they stand a lot better chance of learning than if they let their pride get in the way.  My students may laugh at me when I do crazy things, but they love it all the same. 

Giving Way to Passion:  The teacher I have taught across the hall from for 14 years is retiring and she is a perfect example of having passion for what she does.  In this last year of her 39 year career, she still goes at it full force.  She is very passionate for reading and language arts and can still get kids excited about reading even if they aren’t good readers.  She has a gift for not holding back. 

I guess it is what it is!  

3 comments:

  1. I loved your thoughts on Rule number 6. This took me back to our video analysis of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Steve Jobs seems to live by this rule. Although he is passionate about his product, he knows how to create a positive atmosphere and keep things light and interesting. He certainly is a risk taker! I know that a little humor always increases student engagement. Student involvement and the use of student ideas within the classroom give students a sense of ownership of their learning. Creating connections for students through stories, metaphors, images, and videos can really keep them interested and lead to better end results for student learning. Risk taking should be rewarded with applause. The teacher across the hall from you gives us all inspiration. I think passion and enthusiasm make all the difference.

    My sons attend a camp each summer that is Christ centered. The camp counselors are all in their early 20’s and are enthusiastic about everything they instill in the children. One of the girls explained, if we are excited about what is going on, our campers think it is worth being excited about as well. May it be so with teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I loved your summary of our reading, "In reading the four chapters, one main concept I am taking away is that fact that it is always more important to ask what makes a group lively and engaged instead of asking how good am I." This really goes to the main core of what the Zanders are saying, that instead of worrying about you and your performance, think about how you can contribute to the group. I found myself feeling very empowered by our reading this week and I am encouraged to keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue- I think that we are both very similar in our idea of having fun in our classrooms! If I am making a fool out of myself, it usually means my students will remember what I am teaching them. I know you usually use raps in your class, my greatest memory is doing the Metric Shuffle. My students have never laughed so hard in my classroom and I am pretty sure I have never been so humiliated in my whole life. However, my students from 3 years ago still see me and say, “Do you remember that day!?”

    ReplyDelete