Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MAC Blog Post 1 week 4 - The Art of Possibility chapters 9-12

Don’t hold back & participate wholly!
The chapter that definitely meant the most to me was chapter 9.  I have noticed many times that the students in my 7th & 8th grade classes who are totally uninterested in school and completely uninspired, will give me full effort when I am my nuttiest!  They may look at me and roll their eyes, but every time I am passionate about what I do and really into it, they are definitely paying more attention than when I am just giving notes or lecturing.  It is so awesome to see that student that really doesn’t give a hoot about being in my class, study for a quiz or look at me and say, “Hey I get it!”  The crazier I am, the more I can generate a spark from them.  To get my students to remember waxing and waning moon phases, I do my Karate Kid, Mr. Miagi, stance with my karate move.  I may look like a goof, but they remember the moon phases!  I was at an awards assembly at the high school and a former student caught my eye when the speaker talked about “wax on, wax off”.  Across the gym she mouthed to me, “was on, wane off” with a big smile on her face.  She was in my class three years ago.  Those are the time that I know that if I don’t hold back, they understand and remember so much more.   They are also more willing to take a risk since I do.  

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes a little more to reach some students, but I believe when you show students that you have a great sense of humor and are capable of laughing at yourself, they seem to respond positively. It sort of indicates to them that you, as the instructor, is just as normal and human as they are. I don't consider myself to be barrel full of laughs, but I try whatever it takes to create a light atmosphere and keep it entertaining and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    Great story on teaching your students the moon phases! I love it...Mr. Miagi is very pro at his wax on and wax off. =) Thanks for sharing it with all of us. It is always a compliment when you have a student you once taught recall some piece of information that you taught them and they have always kept it with them. That is one of the signs of a really great teacher. I agree that students do have a tendency at times to only seem to take notice when we do act a little "nuttier" than usual to really get a point across to them, but if that is what it takes to get them to sit up and pay attention then sign me up. I think you have a great insight into that fact that your willingness to take a risk with them helps them feel comfortable enough to take a risk as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed the same thing with my students. I love the Mr. Miagi idea! I can see you in front of your classroom doing wax on wax off!! :) I think, especially with our age group, our "wackyness" scares them just enough that they like us, and remember us. Middle school students are always looking for acceptance and when they see their teacher put everything out there and not care about what people think it makes them comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is awesome that you aren't afraid to act goofy in front of your students. I think some teachers get too caught up in requirements and objectives that they forget to HAVE FUN! The students definitely appreciate it and enjoy learning more when we have fun.
    This book has been really good to read and shown me how to think more positively about every situation. I hope that I can remember all of it and use it next year in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete